Table of Contents

Denmark is often associated with narrow cobbled streets that winds its path between the half timbered fairy-tale houses, spiced with breathtaking views of the beautiful surrounding countryside and with the fresh, balmy sea air in your nostrils. Romantics from around the world however have to think practically too, when they organize the wedding of their dreams. Often marriage is a conscious practical choice people make a chance to get married without the burocracy and fuzz associated with starting a common future especially with a person from a foreign country.

Why Denmark is a Brilliant Choice?

Couples who live abroad, most especially in Europe, may find themselves considering getting married in Denmark for varied reasons. It could be that they face lengthy administrative processes in their country of residence. Or perhaps, they want to have a large ceremonial wedding somewhere exotic and want to take care of the legal part quickly and easily. Some couples may want to have a low-key wedding. Generally speaking, the documentation needed is simple, the processing is quick and Denmark is an awesome place to visit. Many international couples marry in Copenhagen and other town halls around Denmark. Whether by “DIY” process or with the help of different Danish wedding agencies, international couples will never go wrong in choosing Denmark to tie a knot.

Wedding in Denmark is an opportunity for marriage, which especially appeals to people who want to marry a foreigner. Compared with other EU countries, e.g. Germany, Switzerland, or the United Kingdom, Denmark offers the following advantages:

    • short list of required documents
    • fast handling of documents
    • liberal in relation to immigration and same sex couples who decide to marry in this hospitable country.

For example, many German lawyers recommend their clients to get married in Denmark in cases where we are talking about a bi-national or a mixed marriage between a German and a foreigner from Russia, Ukraine, CIS-countries, and other parts of the world, including Asia and the Americas. The entire process, from registration to the wedding only takes 4 – 6 weeks (in 2019), and recently, 3 weeks (in 2021). There is no time-consuming bureaucracy, as it is common in other countries. In short, it is the most convenient. It is practical to send all the necessary documents in copies by e-mail or even fax. This will save money and time – because you the applicants don’t need to visit your home country to collect various certificates and then send them personally to the selected Danish municipality.

Who Can Get Married in Denmark?

People from all over the world and of any gender can get married in Denmark. The only exception can be if you currently have asylum seeker or refugee residential status.

Can Same-Sex Couples Marry in Denmark?

Yes. In fact, Denmark is a popular destination for same-sex couples wishing to marry. Denmark is one of the most tolerant countries in the world, so it is particularly popular among LBGT members to get married here. People who want to marry a person of the same sex, find acceptance, understanding and full support. Denmark was, in fact, the first country in the world to grant recognition to same-sex unions in 1989. The law same-sex union law has now been replaced by a new same-sex marriage law.

Legitimacy of Danish Marriage

Is a marriage made in Denmark recognised in e.g. UK or Germany? Yes, of course! The legitimacy of marriages executed in Denmark is beyond doubt legitimate, as confirmed by the demand of this service and the existing laws. The most important thing is to comply with the requirements of the marriage and family requirements in the country where the new family will settele. These terms can be regulated by  different rules and regulations in different countries.

Family laws are, more or less the same in all EU countries, therefore the Danish marriage certificate is recognised almost all over the World. If in doubt, contact the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, where the marriage certificate can be translated into the required languages and legalized apostille. This is enough to recognise marriage within and outside of other European countries. Optionally, you can request a marriage certificate later in your home country on the basis of this document.

Required Documents for Getting Married in Denmark

I have created this comprehensive guide to the documents required to get married in Denmark. 

This will help couples understand how the whole process works, and help you to avoid making any errors that could compromise your marriage application.

1. Your passport – you must enclose photos of all pages in your passport including the cover page and the back page, and also blank pages – the pictures must be in color and it is important that they are of very good quality.

2. Your ID card (only applicable to EU citizens and Residence Permit holders) –  photos of both sides of the ID card– the pictures must be in color and it is important that they are of very good quality 

4. Certificate of marital status (if applicable) from your current country of residence. If you live in Denmark, you do not have to attach documentation of your marital status

5. Residence certificate or other documentation if you cohabit abroad- The document must be enclosed in both the original language and translated to either English or German.

6. If you have one or more children together – birth certificate(s) of your child/children. The document must be submitted in both the original language and translated to either English or German.

7. If you have previously been married, you must enclose documentation that the marriage has been dissolved by divorce, death or annulment:

    • photo or copy of divorce decree or
    • photo or copy or death certificate
    • photo or copy or marriage annulment

The documents must be enclosed in both the original language and translated to either English or German. It may be required that the documents are legalised or get an apostille stamp.

Note: If the marriage was dissolved in Denmark, it will generally not be necessary to enclose documentation of the dissolution.

Conditions for Getting Married in Denmark

If you live in another country but wish to get married in Denmark, you must meet the Danish conditions for marriage. This applies even if there are other conditions for marriage in the country where you live.

If one of you is a citizen of another Nordic country (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Iceland, as well as the Faroe Islands, Greenland, and Åland), you can request that the approval process is subject to the applicable country’s rules. If so, you must enclose a marriage certificate (ægteskabsattest) from the authority in your country that issues marriage certificates. The marriage certificate demonstrates that you meet the conditions for marriage in the applicable country.

Please be aware that the marriage certificate must not be more than 4 months old.

GENERAL Conditions for Getting Married in Denmark

To get married in Denmark, you must both have turned 18 years of age and you must both be unmarried.

If one of you has previously been married, the previous marriage must have been dissolved before you can remarry.

Marriage between close relatives is not permitted, and if one of you is under guardianship, the guardian must consent to the marriage.

The Agency of Family Law in Denmark (Familieretshuset) need to know whether you or your partner have previously been married. We will therefore ask you to submit information on that in the application.

If they determine there is a specific need for documentation from both of you confirming your marital status as unmarried, we may request a certificate of marital status from your country of residence. If you have only lived for a short time in your current country of residence, they may in certain exceptional cases request certificates of marital status from other countries in which you have resided.

If you do not include a certificate of marital status in your application, you confirm under criminal liability with your signature that you are both unmarried.

If you have a Danish Civil Registration Number (CPR no.) you should not enclose a certificate of no impediment for the periods when you have resided in Denmark.

If you have previously been married, we will request documentation that the previous marriage has been dissolved. This may be in the form of a judicial/
administrative divorce decree, a death certificate or a marriage annulment.

If the marriage was dissolved in Denmark, it will generally not be necessary to enclose documentation.

Step-by-Step Guide on How to Get Married in Denmark

STEP 1: Before applying, please make sure to have all the required documents ready.

STEP 2: When you wish to get married, you have to send a Notice of Marriage Application to the Agency of Family Law. You have to pay a fee of DKK 1,650. 

Note: A certificate of marital status/marriage certificate is valid for 4 months from the date of issuance.

If you are not married within this time period, the certificate is no longer valid and you must re-apply. When re-applying, you must re-submit all the documents and pay a new fee of DKK 1,650.

You can choose two options for sending your application form:

  • It is mandatory to apply using the Agency of Family Law’s digital application form, where you log in and sign using your NemID/MitID.
  • If you are completing the application together and only one of you has NemID/MitID, you can choose to either log in using NemID/MitID or use SMS text message login.

  • If you are not completing the application together, and the other party does not have NemID/MitID, it is nonetheless mandatory for you to apply using the digital application and log in using your NemID/MitID. The other party will then receive an email for SMS text message login.

  • Only If you are exempted from Digital Post from the public authorities, you can print the forms.

Go to application using NemID/MitID

  • You can use the Agency of Family Law’s digital application form, where you log in via SMS text message login.

  • You can also choose to allow a representative to submit the application on your behalf. If you choose to do this, you must grant the representative power of attorney to submit the application. However, it is necessary that you sign the application with the notice of marriage, making a statutory declaration.

  • The representative can also use the Agency of Family Law’s digital application form and log in using SMS text message login.

Go to application using SMS text message login

Payment of Fees:

The Agency of Family Law offers three options for payment of fees:

OPTION 1: You can pay the fee when completing the digital application form with notice of marriage. This payment method is the fastest way to commence your application – the payment of the fee takes place at the same time as you sign and submit the application. You should therefore have your payment card ready when you are completing your application.

OPTION 2: You can also pay the fee via your bank. The amount is to be deposited in our account with Danske Bank: 0216 – account no.: 4069217060. Remember to state your CPR number or your name and passport/ID number when making the payment. Otherwise, we will be unable to see what application the fee is associated with.

OPTION 3: If you have a foreign bank and will be paying a fee to the Agency of Family Law, you must use the following information: IBAN: DK91 0216 4069 2170 60. BIC/SWIFT: DABADKKK. Remember to state your CPR number or your name and passport/ID number when making the payment. Otherwise, we will be unable to see what application the fee is associated with.

Important: The Agency of Family Law does not accept cash or cheque.


1. How to avoid a long expedition time? You can avoid a long expedition time by filling in the application form correctly and attaching all the required documents in a good quality (i.e. a high resolution). 

2. Which documents do I/we have to attach? The documents that you may be required to the Agency of Family Law are mentioned above. Depending on your stated answers in the
application form, the documentation you are required to send to the Agency of Family Law may vary. 

3. Which additional appendixes do I/we have to fill out? Each appendix has information on whom is required to fill it out.

4. Can we choose where in Denmark we can get married? Yes. Please indicate in which municipality, parish or religious community you would like to get married on the application form.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *